Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Trick #2: Crock pots are the bomb diggity.


My book club, I [heart] Book Club, read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies over the winter and finally met a week ago to discuss it. I hosted the meeting at my house. We joked about making cauliflower treats to share (if you have read the book, this will make sense to you...), so it should come as no surprise that I, being the mischievous lady that I am, crafted some delectable cauliflower snacks to share.

We all had a good laugh and enjoyed the various dips in the cauliflower heads, but when the evening was over, I was stuck with more cauliflower than I could shake a stick at (not that I would be inclined to shake a stick at... food. Ahem.). I mean, SERIOUSLY, what is a family of two going to do with 3 decapitated heads of cauliflower?

Well, let me tell you...

I decided to make SOUP. Yes, lovely, mushy, warm the tummy, delicious soup. And what better way to make soup than to do a good ol' sweep of the fridge and shove all my odds and ends into my trusty dusty crock pot, along with said cauliflower? <---This is a rhetorical question. There is no better way. Believe me.

I grabbed all of my ingredients (see below) and five minutes later? It was in the pot and cooking away. How easy is that? <--- This is another rhetorical question.

I am no stranger to the crock pot. It has been my culinary refuge time and time again. Chili cook off? Crock pot. Food about to go bad in the fridge? Crock pot. Potluck at church or work? Crock pot.

There are endless possibilities with the humble crock pot. I've made chili, soup, pork roast, cider, fondue... you name it, it can be made in the crock pot.

If you are curious about what I stuffed in my crock pot today, here are the ingredients I used:

3 half heads of cauliflower, cut up into little pieces
1 cup of broccoli, chopped up
1 can of corn
1 large container (4 cups) of veggie broth
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can water
1 tall boy beer
1-1 1/2 cups of mexican shredded cheese
1/2 cup feta cheese
1/8 cup romano cheese
1 cup crimini mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp. garlic, chopped up
Pepper, sprinkled on top (about 1 tbsp.)
Soul seasoning, sprinkled on top (about 1 tbsp.)
Garlic salt, sprinkled on top (about 1 tbsp.)
1 stick butter, cut up

I layered all the ingredients in that order and let the magic crock pot do its thing. It has been slowly cooking for about 3 hours now and let me just say, it is AMAZING. Sincerely. I wish I could link to the smell...

2 comments:

  1. I want to know how your soup turned out! It sounds delish!

    I have to say I've had some pretty delicious crockpot concoctions myself...soups are so easy and I've even managed a delcious crockpot potroast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The soup turned out fabulously. We all chowed down!

    ReplyDelete